Job Title: Part Time Wellness Nurse
Temporary - One Year
Hours Worked: P/T - 7 Hours per week
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Reports To: Ministry Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Catholic Charities is a nationally-accredited agency with more than 33 years' experience providing social services in the local community, including 18 years of nursing care. Catholic Charities Interfaith Health and Wellness (IHW) staff and nurses provide healthcare outreach and health education to low-income underserved members of the community.
Interfaith Health and Wellness believes that access to equitable and affordable healthcare is a basic human right and envisions communities where all individuals, across boundaries and diverse populations, have access to healthcare and basic support services, irrespective of religious affiliation, age, or income, with the outcome of physical, mental, and spiritual health that ultimately embraces individual and community wellness.
The Program will provide Nursing Outreach in Boynton Beach and collaborate with programs that provides navigation to health services for women, children and families.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assesses need in a specific geographic area incorporating an understanding of the relationship between faith and health.
- Participates in Interfaith Health and Wellness networking meetings or conference calls.
- Fosters, promotes, and provides opportunities for spiritual care documenting spiritual care of groups and individuals.
- Teaches and models the integration of faith and health into daily life.
The Nursing Outreach will include:
- Mentoring clients in the health care field.
- One-on-one health counseling;
- Group educational classes, including healthy meals;
- Making and completing action plans.
- Basic needs material support through in-kind donations, such a hygiene supplies, paper supplies, baby supplies, and shampoos.
- Key activities include assessing healthcare needs and risk/acuity level; developing individualized action plans; conducting and referrals to instructional programs including prenatal care; evidence-based disease prevention and chronic disease self-management; providing one-on-one disease-specific, health literacy, and lifestyle improvement education.
- The Nurse Mentor will also mentor new nurse volunteers to provide health case management to empower women and families to take charge of their health. The case management includes one or more of the following:
- Providing motivational & spiritual counseling, coaching & social support.
- Coordinating free health-screenings;
- Reducing barriers to care;
- Referrals and follow-up for direct care to free clinics and specialists;
- Monitoring adherence with physician visits, compliance, & preventive activities;
- Following-up with missed appointments;
- Reminding patients of their scheduled appointments;
- Furnishing assistance navigating through the health care process;
- Helping patients understand lab results, self-reported biometrics, & medical records and care plans;
- Connecting clients to local support services & community resources;
- Advocating for individual needs within the health & social services systems;
- The Program Administrator and volunteers nurses will also provide evidence-based health education and wellness series to various groups in the community.
- Job demands may require extended hours from time to time
- Ability to work closely with others and alone
- Willingness to travel throughout the Diocese of Palm Beach to fulfill job requirements
- Willingness to respond to emergency situations without notice
- Willingness to prioritize and respond to the needs of potential clients
- Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 – 44 pounds
- Frequent use both hands and fingers (i.e. typing)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e. driving) and routine hearing (i.e. listening to others in conversation).