Parish Bookkeeper/Secretary - Holy Spirit Catholic Church
Holy Spirit Catholic Church is searching for a Full Time Parish Bookkeeper/Secretary.
The Parish Bookkeeper/Secretary serves as a key staff position in support of the pastor, and/or Parochial Vicar or Parish Administrator. The applicant must have a solid background in general business office operations and specifically, in accounting, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), and comprehensive financial reporting. The position will be responsible for the preparation of monthly financial statements with comparison to budget and prior year results, processing of customer credit card receipts, payment of supplier bills, processing of employees pay, bank reconciliations and all general ledger account reconciliations. The position will be responsible for vendor relationships and coordinating for necessary supplies and maintenance. The applicant needs to be an effective communicator and be able to provide specific cash flow management and financial advice to the Pastor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide accurate and timely bookkeeping, payroll and financial reporting for the entity utilizing the chart of accounts and standardized reporting formats
- Administers cash flow management system with purchasing and payment schedules clearly defined
- Write checks for vendors, collect W9’s and Certificates of Insurance per DOPB policies while maintaining good working relationships and ensures transactions meet legal, ethical and moral standards
- Prepare journal entries and maintain general ledger accounts in compliance with Diocese of Palm Beach policies
- Record collection bank deposits and preparation of minimal other deposits and preparation of monthly bank reconciliations
- Maintain accounts receivable due to Parish with GL account balance reconciliations
- Process credit card payments for donations and recording of deposits via cash receipts journal of parish revenue from all sources. Ensures internal controls over cash receipts are maintained through the collection and counting process. Posts contributions to parish member files in alternate system with appropriate tie to deposits as necessary.
- Coordinate all payroll preparation and maintenance with Diocese Payroll and HR/Benefits submitting accurate pay period reports for employees in accordance with signed employee time sheets including maintenance of personnel files
- Ensure compliance with all State and government filings, which includes the following but is not limited to complete and accurate annual 1099, W-2, and I-9 filing while maintaining complete documentation of all efforts that can be readily assessed and viewed by other staff according to DOPB policies and procedures as well
- Provide accurate and timely reporting on the financial activity of individual projects
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions and maintains filing for all financial records
- Prepare and submit timely financial statements for Pastor, Parish Finance Council and Diocese as required along with other supporting reports and schedules as needed, including all balance sheet schedules for verification of balances
- Preparation of annual operating budget and assists in long-range planning efforts in collaboration with Pastor, Vicar, and/or Administrator. Maintains budget in Sage 50 to produce actual vs. budget reports. Assists in presenting the budget to the Parish Finance Council for approval. Explain significant variances as necessary
- Maintains paid time off balances monthly for each employee per Diocesan Policy
- Prepare all supporting information for the annual audit and liaise with the Pastor and the external auditors as necessary
- Assist the Pastor on a regular basis regarding business decisions and keeping him updated on all accounts and areas of interest and/or concern.
- Attend all Parish Finance Council, Staff and other committee meetings appropriate to the position
- Become familiar and adhere to all “Diocesan” policies and procedures
- Assists coordinator in all employee personnel and benefit tasks with the Diocese of Palm Beach HR and Benefits Office
- Proofreads weekly bulletin, relieves receptionist and answers phones when receptionist out or at lunch, prepares regular and bulk mail, screens incoming mail, distributes mail and other related material and maintains and orders office supplies
- Serves as a parish contact with the Diocese Finance Office and with financial institutions in financial matters and actively participate in all diocesan professional training
- Serves as a helpful resource to parish organizations in all financial matters from planning to audit
- Handle sensitive material and serve as a liaison to other staff members
- Maintain absolute confidentiality about staff and others associated with the operation of the entity and communicate with staff in a professional and courteous manner
- Maintain good working relationship with parish community, parish organizations and outside authorities
- College Degree in Accounting preferred. However, some college or post high school vocational tech school credits in accounting with equivalent business experience (5 + years) acceptable.
- 5 + years of financial leadership in accounting including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, general journal entries, general ledger analysis, and financial statement comparative reporting and budgeting.
- Bilingual a plus (ability to read, write, speak, and translate English/Spanish)
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet.
- Proficiency in accounting software with SAGE 50 experience a plus.
- Must have basic knowledge of how the parish operates and is able to grasp quickly how the parish office functions.
- Must be reliable and have the ability to communicate effectively with diocesan employees, department heads, representatives of other agencies and the general public both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently, make responsible judgment calls and multi-task with emphasis on meeting tight deadlines.
- Attention to detail and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Loyal, flexible and honest.
- Experience in working with varied personalities.
- Adhere to the Diocese of Palm Beach Code of Conduct with emphasis on confidentiality.
- Job may require lifting of objects that exceed 25 pounds, with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects - stooping and kneeling may also be required.
- Employee will need to take responsibility for his/her office and materials therein.
- Employee will need to walk around the entire campus while working with and delivering information pertinent to position.
- Employee will be exposed to visual display terminal for prolonged periods.
- Employee may be required on occasion to work after normal working hours if needed.
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
To apply, download and complete the "Employment Application"
To apply online
Please forward the employment application, resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Gigi Silvagnoli, Human Resources Administrative Assistant.
Via US Mail: Diocese of Palm Beach
9995 North Military Trail
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-9650
Via Fax: (561) 584-6467
Via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org