Cemetery Controller - Our Lady Queen of Peace Cemetery
Responsible for planning, coordinating, executing and reporting on all financial activities of Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Cemetery of the Diocese of Palm Beach, Inc. (Cemetery). Ensures implementation and compliance with Cemetery and Diocesan policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide accurate and timely accounting and financial reporting for the Cemetery utilizing the uniform Cemetery chart of accounts and provide standardized reporting formats approved by the Diocese of Palm Beach Finance Office, including facilitation of the accurate reporting of General Ledger accounts such as Revenues, Costs, Inventory, Accounts Receivable, Property, Equipment, etc.
- Ensure the appropriate and timely distribution of financial reports to the Board of Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Cemetery of the Diocese of Palm Beach, Inc., the Cemetery Administrator, and the Diocesan Finance Office with a full command of account differences and explanation of variances.
- At least Quarterly reporting, if not monthly, to the DOPB Finance office is required via the FTP folder of Financial Statements and general ledger reconciliations of all accounts.
- Establish guidelines for budgeting and forecasting as well as responsible for the preparation of the annual budget in consultation with the Cemetery Administrator, department heads, Cemetery Board, and Diocesan Finance Office.
- Establish procedures for the overall purchase approval process including fixed assets and inventory.Supervise the recording of Inventory and Property/Equipment by Cemetery staff.
- Implement and maintain appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Continuously analyze and be prepared to report on cash flow using best estimates of cash receipts and disbursements.
- Provide guidance on cash flow implications for operational liquidity, debt service, major repairs and capital projects.
- Prepare all Board meeting packages, including financial agenda, minutes, financial statements, budget, variance explanations and other topics as needed. Attend and report on finances at all other committee meetings.
- Oversee the timely preparation of all billing using SAGE BusinessWorks, Nexus, Paylocity, and any other financial or accounting applications and the effective management of all inventory, accounts receivable and payment services.
- Ensure that all financial statement of position accounts are current and properly reconciled and reported upon regularly.
- Review all expenditure requests for proper approval, coding and within budgeted amounts.
- Manage accounts payable within cash flow availability and review the monthly reconciliation of A/P Aging with GL account balance.
- Oversee all payroll preparation and maintenance, along with appropriate communication and compliance with the Diocese Payroll and HR/Benefits departments.
- Review all aspects of compensation - salaries, hourly rates, sales commission, and incentive structure, etc.
- Ensure compliance with all State and Federal filings including complete and accurate W-9/1099, W-2/W-4, I-9 and unclaimed property filings while maintaining complete documentation of all related efforts.
- Work with senior management and Board to develop short, medium and long-term financial plans and projections.
- Coordinate all required audits with approved independent accounting firm and the Diocesan Finance Office, oversee the preparation and completion of all supporting information required for the annual financial statement audit as well as the Diocesan agreed upon procedures.
- Review with the Cemetery Administrator and the Board all leases, contracts and other financial commitments and compliance with the Juridic Persons.
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, valued and ultimately disposed of, and proper depreciation is recorded.
- Through the Administrator, Diocese CFO or Board, monitor investments, perpetual care fund, and endowments to ensure funds are being invested consistently according to Diocesan policy.
- Supervise and review the data entry process of all cemetery contracts and payables into the accounting system; reconcile cemetery inventory; reconcile working funds; reconcile deposits; ensuring these processes are handled timely and accurately through the supervision of the Diocese accounting standard.
- Manage all technology, databases and communications systems/vendors.
- Assure all accounting/finance related positions within the cemetery to report to the Cemetery Controller.
- Ensure compliance with Diocesan transaction approval requirements for Juridic Persons.
- Attend the Cemetery Finance meetings
- Review for all vendors insurance in processing special event facilities use program online applications and payments.
- Process Certificate of Insurance per Diocesan policies as needed
- Assist with New Hire Screening and Orientation, audit cemetery personnel files, set up and maintain employee personnel files, Emergency Contact Binders and I9 binders
- Generates required official forms for employees, such as new hires, termination, position/title changes, etc. and obtains all required signatures and documentation
- Works with the Diocesan Human Resources and Benefits office regarding employee benefits (medical, dental, prescription, life insurance etc.) and retirement benefits.
- Responsible for reviewing leave time for all employees and assisting with any generic human resources questions.
- Safeguard the integrity and confidentiality of all employee records
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance required; CPA, CMA or MBA preferred.
- 3 - 5 years’ experience working as a Controller, Director of Accounting or Finance or Assistant Controller.
- Must be a Catholic who upholds the teaching, morals and traditions of the Catholic Church and must possess a sound working knowledge of the Catholic faith, Church hierarchy and Catholic Funeral - Cemetery regulations, preferred.
- Ability to develop and implement accounting and financial management strategies.
- Experience working with information technology staff to manage finance and accounting software packages.
- Experience working in a Cemetery setting or a non-profit organization preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet.
- Sage 50, BusinessWorks, Nexus or Cemetery accounting program experience a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with all employees, vendors, Diocesan employees, departments heads, and representatives of other agencies.
- Strong ability to organize, prioritize and multi-task as well as being self-motivated.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and make responsible judgment calls.
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving capacity.
- Demonstrated strong fiscal, marketing, and business management skills. Intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organizations, parishioners, and the public.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent and professional interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to understand both the “big picture” as well as a willingness to dig in on a “hands on” manner when necessary.
- Proven leadership skills with emphasis on ability to work effectively with different constituencies across the Cemetery.
- Ability to respect confidentiality and exercise fiduciary discretion with good business judgment.
- Adhere to the Diocese of Palm Beach Code of Conduct with emphasis on confidentiality.
- Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 – 44 pounds
- Frequent use both hands and fingers (i.e., typing)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e., loud noises, sirens) and routine hearing (i.e., listening to others in conversation)
- Occasional time spent working closely with others
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
To apply, download and complete the "Employment Application".
Please forward the employment application, resume, salary requirements and list of references to: email@example.com