Director of Finance-St. Jude Church and School
St. Jude Catholic Church and School is searching for a Full Time Director of Finance.
The Director of Finance must have a solid background in accounting and generally accepted accounting principles and be able to adhere to Diocesan policy and procedures as well as rules and regulations of federal, state and city/county ordinances. The Director of Finance will provide direction to the Pastor, Principal and Parish Executive Director and be responsible for accurate and timely accounting records for both Church and the School, providing monthly and quarterly financial reporting and other special projects, including budgets and cash flow reporting, to internal and external customers. The position requires hands on and oversight of the billing of customers, processing of customer receipts, account management and debt collection, payment of vendor bills, processing of payroll for employees, bank reconciliations, Diocesan payments, cash flow transfers, church obligations, ministries, fundraising events and any AUP/audits required. In addition, assisting school with HR assistance, including new hire/termination documentation, maintaining student financial records, financial aid and scholarship applications, parent discussions, collection issues, FACTS software and Sage 50 issues and any audit requirements. The Director of Finance needs to be an effective communicator and be able to provide specific financial advice to the Pastor, Principal, Parish Executive Director and Finance Councils.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide accurate and timely bookkeeping, and financial reporting for the school on an accrual basis and church on a modified cash basis.
- Prepare journal entries and maintain general ledger accounts in compliance with Diocese of Palm Beach policies
- Prepare all bank reconciliations, monthly including SFT and endowment accounts.
- Account receivable and reconciliation of AR Aging with GL account balance
- Account payable and reconciliation of AP Aging with GL account balance
- Process credit card payments for tuition, fees, donations and Capital Campaign pledges
- Keep all accounts receivable accounts up to date using various methods (phone, letters, email, parent discussions, etc.)
- Inform the Principal quarterly, prior to report card distribution, of payables and receivables.
- Must be knowledgeable regarding the Step Up For Students and all state scholarships processes and requirements and maintain family accounts and other documents as required.
- Must be knowledgeable regarding the VPK program and manage all financial accounts.
- Maintain budget in Sage 50 to produce actual vs. budget reports
- Payroll preparation including overview of Time and Labor in School and submission of payroll for both school and church in coordination with Diocese Payroll Department. Ensure funding for payroll is available.
- Maintain, review and settle intercompany transactions between school and church
- Ensure Compliance with all State and government filings, to include complete and accurate 1099, W-2 and unclaimed property filings while maintaining complete documentation of all efforts that can be readily assessed and viewed by other staff.
- Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements for Pastor, Principal and Finance Council with other supporting reports as needed
- Supervisory Duties of two finance staff members and their daily tasks with church and school.
- Meet with the Principal on a regular basis keeping her updated on all accounts and areas of interest and/or concern.
- Assist Principal of school and Parish Executive Director as well as Pastor in preparation of annual budgets
- Ensure and attend quarterly Finance Council and other committee meetings appropriate to the position
- Submit quarterly Financial Statements, and other various reports, to Diocese of Palm Beach Finance Department and the Annual PFC report for Bishop
- Coordinate all employee benefits tasks with the Diocese of Palm Beach Benefits Office
- Communicate with the Diocese regarding all finances and bookkeeping concerns, aware that if he/she is unsure, a phone call must be made for clarification to the Accounting Manager of Parishes and Schools
- Handle sensitive material and serve as a liaison to other staff members
- Maintain absolute confidentiality about school families, staff and others associated with the operation of the school
- Perform all duties with confidence and competency
- Communicate with parents and staff in a professional and courteous manner
- Work with administration regarding families in need of financial assistance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting preferred. However, college or post high school vocational tech school credits in accounting with equivalent business experience (5 + years) acceptable.
- 5 years of financial leadership in accounting including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, general journal entries, general ledge analysis, and financial statement comparative reporting and budgeting.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet.
- SAGE 50 and FACTS software experience a plus.
- Must be reliable, demonstrated success supervising diverse personnel and have the ability to work effectively with Diocesan employees, departments heads, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
- Excellent communication skills with strong commitment to collaboration and creative solutions.
- Ability to work independently, make responsible judgment calls and multi-task with emphasis on meeting tight deadlines.
- Attention to detail and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent and professional telephone manner and interpersonal skills.
- Loyal, flexible and honest.
- Experience in working with varied personalities.
- Adhere to the Diocese of Palm Beach Code of Conduct with emphasis on confidentiality.
- Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 – 44 pounds
- Frequent use both hands and fingers (i.e. typing)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e. loud noises, sirens) and routine hearing (i.e. listening to others in conversation)
- Occasional time spent working closely with others
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
St. Jude Parish is a Catholic community of God’s people of the Diocese of Palm Beach, located in Boca Raton, FL, founded in June 1979. We are a people of diverse backgrounds and ethnic origins united by God, formed by the Gospels, strengthened by the Sacraments and the teachings of the Catholic Church. We seek to deepen our personal union with Jesus Christ and to grow as a faith community. We seek to enrich our heritage of care and concern for all by sharing God’s love and healing with the world around us. Guided by the Holy Spirit, we pledge ourselves to pursue this mission by participation in the liturgical, educational and social ministries of the Church. We recognize that to be effective, these ministries require spiritual, physical and financial resources and we accept our responsibilities as Christian Stewards to provide these resources.
To apply, download and complete the "Employment Application" from the following link: http://www.diocesepb.org/applications
Please forward the employment application, resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Gigi Silvagnoli, Human Resources Administrative Assistant.
Via US Mail: Diocese of Palm Beach
9995 North Military Trail
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-9650
Via Fax: (561) 584-6467
Via Email: email@example.com