Director of Music - St. Juliana Catholic Church
St. Juliana Catholic Church located in West Palm Beach, FL is searching for a full time Director of Music.
The Diocese is dedicated to providing excellent working conditions with competitive compensation in order to attract and retain an outstanding workforce. The Diocese of Palm Beach offers a competitive benefits package to employees working 30 or more hours per work week consisting of comprehensive medical, vision, dental, LTD, group life insurance, optional life insurance. The diocese also provides a 403(b)-retirement plan to all employees. Information on our benefits and retirement programs can be found here.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accompany weekly rehearsals of parish choirs and extra rehearsal of choirs as needed especially for Easter and Christmas. A total of three for these seasons is suggested.
- Expected to lead music at 5 Masses every weekend as well as holydays, Christmas, Easter, funerals, weddings, and other parish celebrations.
- Coordinating bilingual Masses, first Communion and Confirmation
- Provides prelude music beginning before masses or rehearsal with the assembly if needed.
- Available to work on weekdays.
- Make sure Lyrics are projected with decent liturgical or spiritual images for all masses.
- Securing instrumentalist as needed for special occasion.
- Assists in maintaining the parish instruments especially the organ, sound system/ microphones. Screen, Projector, and computer.
- Continuously, updates professional and liturgical education through readings, workshops, conferences, private readings etc.
- Updating and renewing License for music, music books or any software necessary for the music ministry.
- Available for ministry at weddings and funerals. Stipend will be determined in consultation with the engaged couples and/or Funeral Home or Families
- The person will recruit, train and direct cantors and choir members (adult, youth, children, and school mass).
- Recruiting choir members, developing strategy to build the choir.
- Act as the supervisor of the cantors
- Assisting at the Liturgy Committee meeting for the major Liturgical Season.
- Meet with the pastor once a week to review liturgy and work to create a culture of worship.
- Send the timesheet of the cantors to the bookkeeper for payroll.
- School liturgical activities/Masses and Rehearsals with the students.
- Ability to put together great contemporary music for the 6:00 PM Mass and Masses that will be using this type of music.
- Undergraduate degree in music/liturgy or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Graduate Degree is preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ experience is required.
- Proficiency in organ, piano and voice are required.
- Knowledge of Catholic liturgy, with an eclectic sense of liturgical music.
- Active member of the Catholic Church
- Ability to play music, at sight to a level comparable to a common Christmas Carol at Tempo.
- Understanding of basic music theory such as key signatures, meter, and standard notation.
- Keyboard and guitar ability
- Vocal experience ability to sing with accurate pitch and rhythm demonstrating knowledge of vocal production.
- Enthusiastic and equally interact well with adults, young and children. Work well with parish team and other staff, employees/volunteers
- Demonstrate organizational skills needed to manage time appropriately, set priorities and accomplish tasks.
- Knowledge of the Catholic liturgy including liturgy documents, music resources including current hymnals, etc. and familiarity with the Lectionary and Sacramentary.
- Very proficient in computer with great knowledge of the programs.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and make responsible judgment calls.
- Ability to work effectively with Diocesan employees, departments heads, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
- Excellent written, verbal and public speaking skills.
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving capacity.
- Ability to stay focused and organized.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to respect confidentiality and consistently exercise discretion and good business judgment.
- Strong ethical values.
- Occasional light lifting and carrying or moving up to 25 pounds.
- Frequent use both hands and fingers (i.e. typing and reaching)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting.
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e. loud noises, sirens) and routine hearing (i.e. listening to others in conversation)
- Occasional routine talking
- Occasional time spent working closely with others
- Employee will be exposed to visual terminal display for long periods of time.
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 – 44 pounds
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
To apply, download and complete the Employment Application and submit along with your resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Rev. Ducasse Francois at Frducasse@stjulianawpb.com