Full Time Parish Bookkeeper-Emmanuel Catholic Church
Emmanuel Catholic Church is searching for a Full Time Parish Bookkeeper.
The applicant must have a solid background in accounting, generally accepted accounting principles, and comprehensive financial reporting. The position will be responsible for the accurate preparation of monthly financial statements with comparison to budget and prior year results in accordance with Diocesan Policies and Procedures. Coordinate and complete annual budgets. Preparation and presentation of Financial information for Parish Finance Council meetings. Processing of customer receipts, payroll processing, payment of supplier/vendor bills, bank reconciliations and correctly reconciling all general ledger accounts and ensuring proper maintenance of accounting records. The applicant needs to be an effective communicator and be able to provide specific operational and good financial advice to the Pastor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide accurate and timely bookkeeping and financial comparative reporting for the Parish utilizing the chart of accounts and standardized reporting formats on a modified cash basis, monthly, quarterly and annually to the Pastor and the Finance Council along with other supporting reports and schedules appropriate as needed
- Prepare journal entries and maintain general ledger accounts in compliance with Diocese of Palm Beach policies
- Coordinate all payroll preparation and processing per Diocese Policy on Payroll with submission of appropriate reports to the DOPB payroll, Pastor and records for attachments to appropriate journal entry.
- Ensure that coordination of appropriate HR/Benefits for all employee personnel with the Diocese of Palm Beach HR and Benefits Office and Parish personnel including I-9 processing, fingerprinting, EDF forms and proper benefits accruals and time off requests for all employees is taking place.
- Prepare bank reconciliations on all bank, SFT and investment accounts
- Responsible for processing vendor payments via write check method in Sage 50
- Responsible for appropriate vendor information including obtaining workers compensation, liability insurance, certificate of insurance, W-9’s and proper set up in Sage 50, especially if a 1099 is required.
- Maintain accounts payable and monthly reconciliation of AP Aging, if used, with GL account balance - not recommended unless cash flow is an issue – reach out to DOPB Accounting for Parishes before doing so
- Process credit card payments for donations and other appropriate receipts
- Ensure compliance with all State and government filings, which includes the following but is not limited to complete and accurate W-9/1099 filing, W-2 filing by third party processor, while maintaining complete documentation of all efforts that can be readily assessed and filed for easy access.
- Provide accurate and timely reporting on the financial activity of individual projects, especially new construction and according to Diocesan policy.
- Ensure all leases, contracts and other financial commitments are included in budgets and Financial Statements appropriately
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions and appropriate filing per Diocesan record retention guide
- Preparation of annual operating budget with assistance from Pastor and maintain budget in Sage 50 to produce actual vs. budget reports. Explain significant variances as necessary
- Prepare all supporting information for the tri-annual AUP and liaise with the Pastor and the external auditors as necessary
- Assist the Pastor on a regular basis regarding business decisions and keeping him updated on all accounts and areas of interest and/or concern.
- Attend Parish Finance Council and other committee meetings appropriate to the position as well as coordinate the Annual PFC report to the Bishop per Diocesan policy and instructions
- Become familiar and adhere to “ALL” Diocesan policies and procedures
- Communicate with the Diocese Finance Office regarding all bookkeeping concerns and actively participate in all diocesan professional training as appropriate
- Handle sensitive material and serve as a liaison to other staff members
- Maintain absolute confidentiality about staff and others associated with the operation of the entity and communicate with staff in a professional and courteous manner
- Minimum of Associates Degree in Accounting preferred. However, some college or post high school vocational tech school credits in accounting with equivalent business experience acceptable.
- 3 + years of financial leadership in accounting including accounts payable, payroll, general journal entries, general ledger analysis, and financial statement comparative reporting and budgeting.
- Bilingual a plus (ability to read, write, speak, and translate English/Spanish)
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet.
- Proficiency in accounting software with SAGE 50 experience a plus.
- Must be reliable and have the experience working effectively with varied personalities at all levels including diocesan employees, department heads, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
- Ability to work independently, make responsible judgment calls, multi-task, be loyal, honest and trustworthy. Attention to detail and be willing to work a flexible schedule when needed.
- Excellent communication skills, professional telephone manner and interpersonal skills.
- Adhere to the Diocese of Palm Beach Code of Conduct with emphasis on confidentiality.
- Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 – 44 pounds
- Frequent use of both hands and fingers (i.e. typing)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e. loud noises, sirens) and routine hearing (i.e. listening to others in conversation)
- Occasional time spent working closely with others
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
To apply, download and complete the "Employment Application" and forward along with your resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Gigi Silvagnoli, Human Resources Administrative Assistant.
Via US Mail: Diocese of Palm Beach
9995 North Military Trail
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-9650
Via Fax: (561) 584-6467
Via Email: email@example.com