Internal Auditor - Pastoral Center
Role & Purpose:
The internal auditor provides various support to all the entities of the Diocese, as assigned. The support varies from actual direction of the most basic bookkeeping entries to assisting entities with correcting deficiencies. Support includes reviewing, analyzing and producing financial statements and reports, including budgets, for accuracy, completeness and compliance. This position requires the ability to provide plans of action for individuals at entities for improved financial reporting utilizing best practices. Requires the ability to provide financial information to management by researching and analyzing accounting and other data; preparing reports utilizing available software as required. Responsibility includes monitoring entities for their compliance to the Diocese per policies and procedures. Additionally, must be able to provide professional training and development which requires the ability to communicate with all skill levels and various management levels, utilizing available technology and various instruction techniques.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide comprehensive accounting and financial reporting assistance to parishes and schools as assigned.
- Accounting responsibilities may include cash receipts, cash disbursements, payroll, general journal entries, and reconciliations through the preparation of monthly financial statements with the application of Generally Accepting Accounting Principles (GAAP) where required.
- Responsible for conducting financial, operational and compliance review following AUP engagements due to compliance deficiencies by the entity.
- Responsible for evaluating business processes and functions for effectiveness, internal control adequacy and accuracy of financial reports and records.
- Responsible for evaluating efficiency of operations and making recommendations to individual entities and the Diocese for changes in policy, methodologies, budget and operations;
- Provides on-site training to staff and assistance to pastors regarding internal controls, operating efficiency and compliance changes.
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment regarding accounting practices, fiscal recordkeeping, financial reporting and accounting and related controls.
- Monitors and analyzes internal and external factors affecting finances of the particular entity.
- Forecasts entity financial position and makes recommendations related to such positions to the particular entity and/or the Diocese.
- Provide computer support to entities utilizing Sage 50 financial software and software support tools (ie: helpdesk & remote desktop support)
- Create appropriate standardized entity financial reports for use at the diocesan level and assist entities with any preferred customized report menu
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget in collaboration with Pastor/President, Finance Council, and staff. Maintain budget in Sage 50 to produce comparative actual vs. budget reports
- When appropriate prepare and present monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements on a timely basis as assigned and review reports with the Pastor/President
- Attend entity Finance Council meetings as requested to present financial statements
- Conduct training needs assessment by collecting information pertaining to work procedures, work flow, and reports; understanding job-specific functions and tasks
- Design training manuals by identifying and describing information needs; submitting initial versions for review; revising and editing final copy
- Organize and present training material for parish and school finance personnel at various diocesan meetings, workshops and electronically utilizing available software and support tools
- Provide appropriate orientation and training for new parish and school finance personnel as needed
- Detailed review of financial records of parishes and schools as required and/or necessary prior to their scheduled AUP for possible inclusion in engagement
- Ability to travel to locations within the Diocese of Palm Beach
- Assist the Accounting Manager – Parishes and Schools with the annual Diocesan Services Appeal (DSA) goal calculation process and other projects as required
- Bilingual a plus Spanish/English
- Advanced Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in successful leadership positions in accounting or finance with multiple responsibilities. 3+ years of Church/School financial experience a plus
- Ability to monitor and collect data to assess accuracy and integrity; analyze data; ensure compliance with applicable standards (i.e. GAAP), rules, regulations and systems of internal control; interpret and evaluate results, prepare documentation; create financial reports and/or presentations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, professional telephone manner, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite, including Excel, Word, Outlook and Power Point, and navigating the Internet; experience with software support tools and training helpful
- Attention to detail and able to work independently and as part of a team in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work with a broad array of financial competencies and employ effective teaching/training techniques.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks with emphasis on meeting tight deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with parish staff, Diocesan employees, department heads, representatives of other agencies, and the general public
- Adhere to the Diocese of Palm Beach Code of Conduct with emphasis on confidentiality and able to exercise discretion and good business judgment
- Reliable insured vehicle
- Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 – 44 pounds
- Frequent use both hands and fingers (i.e. typing)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e. loud noises, sirens) and routine hearing (i.e. listening to others in conversation)
- Occasional time spent working closely with others
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
To apply, download and complete the "Employment Application" and forward along with your resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Gigi Silvagnoli, Human Resources Administrative Assistant.
Via US Mail: Diocese of Palm Beach
9995 North Military Trail
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-9650
Via Fax: (561) 584-6467
Via Email: email@example.com