Parish Bookkeeper - St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church
The applicant must have a solid background in accounting, generally accepted accounting principles, and comprehensive financial reporting. The position will be responsible for the accurate preparation of monthly financial statements with comparison to budget and prior year results in accordance with Diocesan Policies and Procedures. Additionally, the bookkeeper assists with the completion of annual budgets and assists the Director of Finance in the preparation of Financial information for Parish Finance Council meetings. Other tasks include the processing of customer receipts, payroll processing, payment of supplier/vendor bills, bank reconciliations and correctly reconciling all general ledger accounts and ensuring proper maintenance of accounting records. The applicant needs to be an effective communicator and be able to provide specific operational and sound financial advice to the Parish Manager and Pastor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide accurate and timely bookkeeping and financial comparative reporting for the Parish utilizing the chart of accounts and standardized reporting formats on a modified cash basis, monthly, quarterly and annually to the Pastor and the Finance Council along with other supporting reports and schedules appropriate as needed.
- Prepare journal entries and maintain general ledger accounts in compliance with Diocese of Palm Beach policies.
- Coordinate all payroll preparation and processing per Diocese Policy on Payroll with submission of appropriate reports to the Finance Director with appropriate journal entry.
- Coordinate HR/Benefits for all employee personnel with the Diocese of Palm Beach HR and Benefits Office including I-9 processing, fingerprinting and EDF forms are properly completed including correct worker classification.
- Prepare bank reconciliations on all cash accounts.
- Responsible for processing all vendor payments in Sage 50.
- Maintain accounts payable and monthly reconciliation of AP Aging with GL account balance. Reach out to DOPB Accounting for Parishes before implementing to ensure quarter end financials are administered per DOPB Policy.
- Process credit card payments for donations and other appropriate receipts.
- Ensure compliance with all State and government filings, which includes the following but is not limited to complete and accurate W-9/1099, W-2, while maintaining complete documentation of all efforts that can be readily assessed and filed for easy access.
- Provide accurate and timely reporting on the financial activity of individual projects, especially new construction and according to Diocesan policy.
- Ensure all leases, contracts and other financial commitments are included in budgets and Financial Statements.
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions and appropriate filing per Diocesan record retention guide.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual operating budget with assistance from Pastor and Parish Manager and maintain budget in Sage 50 to produce actual vs. budget reports. Explain significant variances as necessary.
- Prepare all supporting information for the tri-annual AUP and liaise with the Pastor and the external auditors as necessary.
- Assist the Pastor and Parish Manager on a regular basis regarding business decisions and keeping him updated on all accounts and areas of interest and/or concern.
- Attend Parish Finance Council and other committee meetings appropriate to the position as well as coordinate the Annual PFC report to the Bishop per Diocesan policy and instructions.
- Become familiar and adhere to all “Diocesan” policies and procedures.
- Communicate with the Diocese Finance Office regarding all bookkeeping concerns and actively participate in all diocesan professional training as appropriate.
- Handle sensitive material and serve as a liaison to other staff members.
- Maintain absolute confidentiality about staff and others associated with the operation of the entity and communicate with staff in a professional and courteous manner.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting preferred.
- 3 + years of financial leadership in accounting including accounts payable, payroll, general journal entries, general ledger analysis, and financial statement comparative reporting and budgeting.
- Bilingual a plus (ability to read, write, speak, and translate English/Spanish).
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet.
- Proficiency in accounting software with SAGE 50 experience a plus.
- Must be reliable and have the experience working effectively with varied personalities at all levels including diocesan employees, department heads, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
- Ability to work independently, make responsible judgment calls, multi-task, be loyal, honest and trustworthy. Attention to detail and be willing to work a flexible schedule when needed.
- Excellent communication skills, professional telephone manner and interpersonal skills.
- Adhere to the Diocese of Palm Beach Code of Conduct with emphasis on confidentiality.
- Physical Requirements:
- Job may require lifting of objects that exceed 25 pounds, with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects - stooping and kneeling may also be required.
- Employee will need to take responsibility for his/her office and materials therein.
- Employee will need to walk around the entire campus while working with and delivering information pertinent to position.
- Employee will be exposed to visual display terminal for prolonged periods.
- Employee may be required on occasion to work after normal working hours if needed.
- Occasional time spent working closely with others
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
To apply, download and complete the Employment Application and submit along with your resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Gigi Silvagnoli:
Via US Mail: Diocese of Palm Beach
9995 North Military Trail
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-9650
Via Fax: (561) 584-6467
Via Email: email@example.com