Parish/School Finance Bookkeeper - Sacred Heart Church and School
Sacred Heart Church and School located in Lake Worth, FL is searching for a full time Parish/School Finance Bookkeeper.
The Diocese is dedicated to providing excellent working conditions with competitive compensation in order to attract and retain an outstanding workforce. The Diocese of Palm Beach offers a competitive benefits package to employee’s working 30 or more hours per work week consisting of comprehensive medical, vision, dental, LTD, group life insurance, optional life insurance. The diocese also provides a 403(b)-retirement plan to all employees. Information on our benefits and retirement programs can be found here.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for preparation, reporting and maintenance of all accounting and financial matters for both the parish and the school in accordance with GAAP and/or Diocesan guidelines including all reporting systems and record retention.
- To serve as Parish contact between Diocesan Office of Benefits and employees. Responsible for updated employee personal information as well as personnel policies and procedures, benefits, salary changes, I-9’s, tracking of vacation and sick days.
- Provide accurate and timely accounting, payroll and financial reporting for the Parish and school utilizing the uniform chart of accounts and standardized reporting formats
- Ensure the appropriate and timely distribution of financial reports to the pastor, principal, Finance Council and diocese with a full command of account differences and explanation of variances
- Establish timelines for budget and forecast preparation, and prepare the annual budget in consultation with pastor, principal, Parish Finance Council, SAC Finance Committee and diocese
- Continuously analyze and be prepared to report on cash flow using best estimates of cash receipts and disbursements.
- Provide guidance on cash flow implications for operational liquidity, debt service, major repairs and capital projects
- Prepare all Parish Finance Council meeting packages, including agenda, minutes, financial statements, budget, variance explanations and other topics as needed. Attend and report on finances at Parish Finance Council meetings
- Provide the timely preparation of all students billing using SAGE applications and the effective management of accounts receivable using FACTS payment services.
- Ensure that accounts receivable are current and properly reconciled and can be reported upon regularly
- Assist with the documentation and determination of student financial assistance, allocating amounts within budget in consultation with Pastor, Principal and Parish Finance Council
- Prepare reports for annual financial aid and scholarship award meetings with Pastor and Principal
- Review all expenditure requests for proper approval, coding and within budgeted amounts.
- Responsible for accounts payable within cash flow availability and review the monthly reconciliation of AP Aging with GL account balance
- Responsible for payroll preparation and maintenance, along with appropriate communication and compliance with Diocese Payroll and HR/Benefits
- Ensure compliance with all State and Federal filings, to include complete and accurate W-9/1099, W-2/W-4, I-9 and unclaimed property filings while maintaining complete documentation of all related efforts
- Coordinate all required audits with an approved independent accounting firm and the Diocese Finance Office and oversee the preparation and completion of all supporting information required for audits
- Review with the pastor and principal all leases, contracts and other financial commitments
- Monitor investments and endowments to ensure funds are being invested consistent with policy and cash flow needs
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- 3-5 year experience on senior administrative teams and working with progressive financial responsibility.
- Experience working in church and in religious educational setting a plus
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and ACS Data Management System.
- Sage 50 experience a plus.
- Excellent and professional telephone manner, interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to both understand the “big picture” as well as willingness to dig in a “hands on” manner when necessary.
- Proven leadership skills with emphasis on ability to understand and work effectively with different constituencies across the School.
- Ability to work effectively with diocesan employees, ministry heads, representatives of other agencies, parishioners, parents, and the general public.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and make responsible judgment calls.
- Ability to respect and consistently exercise discretion and judgment.
- Adhere to the Diocese of Palm Beach Policies & Procedures including, Code of Conduct with emphasis on confidentiality.
- Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 – 44 pounds
- Frequent use both hands and fingers (i.e. typing)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e. loud noises, sirens) and routine hearing (i.e. listening to others in conversation)
- Occasional time spent working closely with others
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Please forward the employment application, resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Jenna Sheehan, Human Resources Administrative Assistant.
Via US Mail: Diocese of Palm Beach
9995 North Military Trail
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-9650
Via Fax: (561) 584-6467
Via Email: email@example.com