Part Time (30hrs/week with benefits) Bookkeeper/Employee Benefits Coordinator - St. Jude Catholic Church
St. Jude Catholic Church, located in Tequesta, FL is searching for a part time (30 hours per week with benefits) Bookkeeper/Employee Benefits Coordinator.
The Diocese provides excellent working conditions with competitive compensation in order to attract and retain an outstanding workforce. The Diocese of Palm Beach offers a competitive benefits package to employee’s working 30 or more hours per work week consisting of comprehensive medical, vision, dental, LTD, group life insurance, optional life insurance. The Diocese also provides a 403(b)-retirement plan to all employees. Information on our benefits and retirement programs can be found here.
The position will be responsible for the preparation of monthly financial statements with comparison to budget and prior year results. The Bookkeeper provides day-to-day financial support services including accounts payable, credit card processing, payroll processing, cash receipts deposits, bank reconciliations and all general ledger account reconciliations. The position is also responsible for maintaining parishioner tithing records and providing occasional general office support. Maintains employee personnel records and financial records. Must be an effective communicator and be able to provide specific operational and financial information and work in collaboration with the Pastor on coordinating payroll and employee benefit plans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must have a solid background in general business office operations and specifically, in accounting, generally accepted accounting principles, and comprehensive financial reporting.
- Provide accurate and timely bookkeeping, payroll and financial reporting for the entity utilizing the chart of accounts and standardized reporting formats
- Prepare journal entries and maintain general ledger accounts in compliance with Diocese of Palm Beach policies
- Record cash receipts and monthly bank reconciliations on all bank accounts in Sage 50 Accounting system according to Diocese of Palm Beach policies and Pastor’s direction:
- Offertory – Offertory, 2nd Collection, Flowers, etc.
- Miscellaneous – Stole Fee, Religious Education, Adult Ed, Vigil Candles, Altar Flowers, etc.
- Mass Stipends – Mass Stipends and Novenas
- Youth Ministry – Youth Ministry fundraisers
- Process credit card payments for donations and other appropriate receipts
- Maintains all posting of offertory accounts in the Parish Data System (PDS) system and proper balancing to offertory tally sheet reports and prepare yearly End of Year Donor Tax Reports for parishioners.
- Prepares thank you and acknowledgement letters for offertory donations over $250.
- Verify and pay invoices in a timely manner. Prepare checks for bills, Diocesan second collections, reimbursements, loans, savings, benefits (health & pension) etc.
- Collect W9’s and Certificates of Insurance per Diocese of Palm Beach policies.
- Coordinate all payroll preparation with Diocese Payroll
- Ensure compliance with all State and government filings, which includes the following but is not limited to complete and accurate annual 1099, W-2, and I-9 filing while maintaining complete documentation of all efforts that can be readily assessed and viewed by other staff according to DOPB policies and procedures as well.
- Provide accurate and timely reporting on the financial activity of individual projects and any requested Pastor worksheets.
- Be aware of all leases, contracts and other financial commitments and account according to policies and procedures.
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
- Assist the Pastor on a regular basis regarding business decisions and keeping him updated on all accounts and areas of interest and/or concern.
- Prepare and submit timely financial statements for Pastor, Parish Finance Council and Diocese as required along with other supporting reports and schedules as needed, including all balance sheet schedules for verification of balances.
- Assist Pastor and Finance Council in preparation of annual operating budget and maintain budget in Sage 50 to produce actual vs. budget reports. Explain significant variances as necessary.
- Maintain parish financial files as required by the Pastor and/or Diocese of Palm Beach policy & procedures and general accounting and retention practices.
- Maintain Religious Education petty cash account.
- Process Capital Campaigns and Expenditures per Diocesan Policy and Procedures
- Submits required DSA transmittal reports to the Diocese and reviews monthly DSA reports.
- Attend Finance Council and other committee meetings appropriate to the position as well as Diocesan bookkeepers and benefits meetings.
- Prepares Annual Parish Finance report in collaboration with the Pastor and Finance Council along with Parish distribution of financial results per Diocese of Palm Beach policy.
- Prepare all supporting information for the triennial agreed upon procedures program and liaise with the Pastor and the external auditors as necessary.
- Maintain good working relations with Diocesan offices, Annual Bishop’s Appeal, Finance and Administration.
- Maintain absolute confidentiality about parishioners, parish finances, activities in or about the parish, priest(s) personnel, and others associated with the operation of the parish.
Employee Benefits Tasks:
- Maintains records of employee benefits and personnel records.
- Keeps abreast of any change or updates in the Diocesan regulated benefit packages and, under the direction of the Pastor, communicates changes to affected employees.
- Assist all new and existing employees with Human Resource inquires.
- Prepares and forwards all required Employee Benefits forms to the Diocese of Palm Beach for existing and new personnel.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate employee records such as vacation, sick time, medical leave, pension, personal leave, evaluations, timesheets, salary changes, corrective actions, etc.
- Maintain tracking of employee vacation and sick time.
- Maintain and update employee job descriptions and keep signed copy in employee files.
- Maintain absolute confidentiality about employees, volunteers file contents.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Three to five (3-5) years previous bookkeeping experience preferred.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet, as well as Peachtree accounting applications and other custom church software.
- Ability to use various office machines, such as copier, fax machine, postage meter, phone meter, phones, etc.
- Ability to organize and coordinate workflow.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to relate to a variety of persons and work as a team member.
- Experience in helping to organize and manage the workflow of a busy office preferred.
- Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds.
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 – 44 pounds.
- Frequent use both hands and fingers (i.e. typing)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting.
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e. loud noises, sirens) and routine hearing (i.e. listening to others in conversation)
- Occasional time spent working closely with others.
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
To apply, download and complete the Employment Application and submit along with your resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Agustina Lentz, HR Administrative Assistant.
Via US Mail: Diocese of Palm Beach
9995 North Military Trail
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-9650
Via Fax: (561) 775-9575
Via Email: email@example.com