Part Time Accountant (32 hours per week - benefits eligible) - St. Paul of the Cross Catholic Church
St. Paul of the Cross Catholic Church, located in North Palm Beach, FL is searching for a Part Time Accountant (32 hours per week - benefits eligible).
The Diocese is dedicated to providing excellent working conditions with competitive compensation in order to attract and retain an outstanding workforce. The Diocese of Palm Beach offers a competitive benefits package to employee’s working 30 or more hours per work week consisting of comprehensive medical, vision, dental, LTD, group life insurance, optional life insurance. The diocese also provides a 403(b)-retirement plan to all employees. Information on our benefits and retirement programs can be found here.
The applicant must have a solid background in general business office operations and specifically, in accounting, generally accepted accounting principles, and comprehensive financial reporting. The position will be responsible for the preparation of monthly financial statements with comparison to budget and prior year results, processing of customer credit card receipts, payment of supplier bills, processing of employees pay, bank reconciliations and all general ledger account reconciliations. The position will be responsible for vendor relationships and coordinating for necessary supplies and maintenance. The applicant needs to be an effective communicator and be able to provide specific operational and financial advice to the Pastor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide accurate and timely bookkeeping, payroll and financial reporting for the parish utilizing the chart of accounts and standardized reporting formats
- Prepare journal entries and maintain general ledger accounts in compliance with Diocese of Palm Beach policies
- Prepare bank deposits and monthly bank reconciliations
- Maintain accounts receivable due to Parish with GL account balance reconciliations
- Write checks for vendors, collect W9’s and Certificates of Insurance per DOPB policies
- Process credit card payments for donations and other appropriate receipts
- Coordinate all payroll preparation and maintenance with Diocese Payroll and HR/Benefits
- Ensure compliance with all State and government filings, which includes the following but is not limited to complete and accurate annual 1099, W-2, and I-9 filing while maintaining complete documentation of all efforts that can be readily assessed and viewed by other staff according to DOPB policies and procedures as well
- Provide accurate and timely reporting on the financial activity of individual projects
- Oversee the management of all leases, contracts and other financial commitments
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions
- Prepare and submit timely financial statements for Pastor, Parish Finance Council and Diocese as required along with other supporting reports and schedules as needed, including all balance sheet schedules for verification of balances
- Assist Pastor in preparation of annual operating budget and maintain budget in Sage 50 to produce actual vs. budget reports. Explain significant variances as necessary
- Prepare all supporting information for the annual audit and liaise with the Pastor and the external auditors as necessary
- Assist the Pastor on a regular basis regarding business decisions and keeping him updated on all accounts and areas of interest and/or concern.
- Attend Parish Finance Council and other committee meetings appropriate to the position
- Become familiar and adhere to all “Diocesan” policies and procedures
- Coordinate all employee personnel and benefit tasks with the Diocese of Palm Beach HR and Benefits Office
- Communicate with the Diocese Finance Office regarding all bookkeeping concerns and actively participate in all diocesan professional training
- Serve as the primary financial contact for vendors providing assistance and guidance as necessary
- Handle sensitive material and serve as a liaison to other staff members
- Maintain absolute confidentiality about staff and others associated with the operation of the parish and communicate with staff in a professional and courteous manner
- Minimum of Associates Degree in Accounting preferred. However, some college or post high school vocational tech school credits in accounting with equivalent business experience (3 + years) acceptable.
- 3 + years of financial leadership in accounting including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, general journal entries, general ledger analysis, and financial statement comparative reporting and budgeting.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet.
- Proficiency in accounting software with SAGE 50 experience a plus.
- Must be reliable and have the ability to work effectively with diocesan employees, department heads, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
- Ability to work independently, make responsible judgment calls and multi-task with emphasis on meeting tight deadlines.
- Attention to detail and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent and professional telephone manner and interpersonal skills.
- Loyal, flexible and honest.
- Experience in working with varied personalities.
- Adhere to the Diocese of Palm Beach Code of Conduct with emphasis on confidentiality.
- Job may require lifting of objects that exceed 25 pounds, with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects - stooping and kneeling may also be required.
- Employee will need to take responsibility for his/her office and materials therein.
- Employee will need to walk around the entire campus while working with and delivering information pertinent to position.
- Employee will be exposed to visual display terminal for prolonged periods.
- Employee may be required on occasion to work after normal working hours if needed.
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
To apply, download and complete the Employment Application and submit along with your resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Gretchen Wood, Human Resources Coordinator.
Via US Mail: Diocese of Palm Beach
9995 N Military Trail
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Via Fax: 561-775-9575
Via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org