Part Time Bookkeeper/Financial Liaison - Ascension Catholic Church (20-25 hours per week)
Ascension Catholic Church located in Boca Raton, FL is searching for a Part Time Bookkeeper/Financial Liaison (20-25 hours per week).
The Diocese is dedicated to providing excellent working conditions with competitive compensation in order to attract and retain an outstanding workforce. The Diocese also offers a 403(b)-retirement plan to all employees. Information on our retirement program can be found here.
Although bookkeeping is the major focus of this position; including accounting financial reporting and an understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, the position involves additional responsibilities. It is essential to be a part of the parish team, possessing both communication and collaborative skills. The position requires the availability to be available (within a reasonable time frame) to liaise with staff & ministry leaders as well as work closely with finance council members. In order for that to be possible, the applicant must be physically onsite on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide accurate and timely bookkeeping and financial comparative reporting for the Parish utilizing the chart of accounts and standardized reporting formats on a modified cash basis, monthly, quarterly and annually to the Pastor and the Finance Council along with other supporting reports and schedules appropriate as needed
- Prepare journal entries and maintain general ledger accounts in compliance with Diocese of Palm Beach policies
- Coordinate all payroll preparation and processing per Diocese Policy on Payroll with submission of appropriate reports to the DOPB payroll.
- Ensure that coordination of appropriate HR/Benefits for all employee personnel with the Diocese of Palm Beach.
- Prepare bank reconciliations on all bank and investment accounts
- Responsible for processing vendor payments in Sage 50, including input of all auxiliary accounts in detail.
- Record all bank deposits for offertory and other items especially donations/contributions as needed.
- Manage online/credit card payments for donations and other appropriate receipts
- Ensure compliance with all State and government filings, which includes the following but is not limited to complete and accurate W-9/1099 filing, W-2/W3 filing by third party processor, etc.
- Provide accurate and timely reporting on the financial activity of individual projects.
- Ensure all leases, contracts and other financial commitments are included in budgets and Financial Statements.
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions and appropriate filing per Diocesan record retention guide
- Preparation of annual operating budget with assistance from Pastor and Parish Finance Council and maintain budget in Sage 50 to produce actual vs. budget reports.
- Prepare all supporting information and liaise with the Pastor and the external auditors as necessary
- Assist the Pastor on a regular basis regarding business decisions and keeping him updated on all accounts and areas of interest and/or concern.
- Attend Parish Finance Council and other committee meetings appropriate to the position as well as coordinate the Annual PFC report to the Bishop per Diocesan policy and instructions
- Become familiar and adhere to all “Diocesan” policies and procedures
- Communicate with the Pastor and Diocese Finance Office regarding all bookkeeping concerns and actively participate in all diocesan professional training as appropriate
- Handle sensitive material and serve as a liaison to other staff members
- Maintain absolute confidentiality about staff and others associated with the operation of the entity and communicate with staff in a professional and courteous manner
- Minimum of Associates Degree in Accounting preferred.
- College or vocational tech school credits in accounting with equivalent business experience will be considered.
- 3 + years of financial leadership in accounting including accounts payable, payroll, general journal entries, general ledger analysis, and financial statement comparative reporting and budgeting.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet.
- Proficiency in accounting software with SAGE 50 experience a plus.
- Must be reliable and have the experience working effectively with varied personalities at all levels including diocesan employees, department & ministry heads, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
- Able to make responsible judgment calls, multi-task, be loyal, honest and trustworthy. Attention to detail and be willing to work a flexible schedule when needed.
- Excellent communication skills, professional telephone manner and interpersonal skills.
- Adhere to the Diocese of Palm Beach Code of Conduct with emphasis on confidentiality and able to exercise discretion and good business judgment
- Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 – 44 pounds
- Frequent use of both hands and fingers (i.e. typing)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e. loud noises, sirens) and routine hearing (i.e. listening to others in conversation)
- Occasional time spent working closely with others
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
To apply, download and complete the Employment Application and submit along with your resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of
Jenna Sheehan, HR Administrative Assistant
Via US Mail: Diocese of Palm Beach
9995 North Military Trail
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-9650
Via Fax: (561) 775-9575
Via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org