St. Jude Catholic Church, Tequesta

Here is an overview of St. Jude, Tequesta Parish’s humble beginnings from a mission church to the thriving faith community it is today:

June 4, 1957 

The Village of Tequesta receives its Charter.
The nearest Catholic churches are in Stuart and Rivera Beach.

December 8, 1957 

Jupiter Catholic Mission Church celebrates their first Mass at the Civic Center.

May 21, 1962 

Tequesta annexes 15 acres, west side of U.S. Highway One, north of what is now Tequesta Drive.

May 27, 1962 

St. Jude breaks ground for the church on the land.

December 16, 1962 

Bishop Coleman Carroll dedicates St. Jude Church, Tequesta, which seated approximately 500 parishioners.

October 26, 1980 

The St. Jude Parish Center is dedicated.

December 8, 1982 

St. Jude Church, Tequesta, celebrates its 25th anniversary.

January 11, 1990 

Parish members unanimously agree to build a new church and parish office.

December 1, 1991 

St. Jude Church, Tequesta, breaks ground for the parish office and the new church with a seating capacity of approximately 1,200 parishioners.

August 21, 1993

The first Mass is celebrated in the new church by Rev. Thomas Vengayil, Pastor, concelebrated by Rev. Edward Campbell, O.S.B., Rev. John McAtavey, and Rev. Nicholas Maestrini, PIME.

October 31, 1993 

Bishop J. Keith Symons dedicates the new church, the new parish office building and the new rectory.

December 8, 2007 

St. Jude Church, Tequesta, celebrates its 50th Jubilee.

December 9, 2007 

Bishop Gerald M. Barbarito rededicated the renovated church as part of the 50th Jubilee Mass.

October 26, 2013 

Bishop Gerald M. Barbarito rededicated the renovated Jubilee Parish Center.

Currently, Very Rev. Charles E. Notabartolo is the pastor, Rev. Frank D’Amato is the parochial vicar, Very Rev. Albert Dello Russo, JCL is in residence, and Deacon Les Loh serves through his good works in the parish community.

St. Jude, Tequesta Parish has a unique ministry Called the Little Flowers Club. This group is geared towards young girls ages 5-12 and it teaches virtues and life skills through a distinctly Catholic lens. The ministry focuses on nurturing young girls in Holy Scripture, biographies of Saints, and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. During certain meetings of the Little Flowers Club, the girls’ mothers are invited to share in the day’s activities and grow in a spiritual relationship with their daughters. To learn more about the Little Flowers Club, visit stjudecatholicchurch.net/little-flowers/.

St. Jude, Tequesta Parish is located at 204 US-1, Tequesta, FL 33469.

*Photo curtesy of St. Jude, Tequesta website.


Category Tag(s): Profiles