St. John Fisher Parish in West Palm Beach was founded on August 23, 1963. An announcement was placed in The Voice that a new parish had been established in West Palm Beach by Bishop Coleman F. Carroll. Father Leslie Cann was named the first pastor on August 30, 1963. His challenge was to find a
St. Juliana Parish was founded in 1949, and originally had to celebrate Mass in the Carefree Theatre on the corner of Dixie Highway and Flamingo Drive until the church could be built. Father Patrick O’Brien was the first pastor and often referred to the parish as “St. Carefree.” A large
In 1953, a small group of Catholic women came together to establish the first Catholic church in Boca Raton. To meet this goal, they organized Boca Raton’s first Catholic Women’s Guild and raised money by hosting bake sales, dances, dinners, card parties and rummage sales, which became the
St. Helen parish first began when Fr. Rupert Gabriel of the Order of St. Benedict celebrated the first Mass in Indian River County in June 1919 at the home of Louis Schlitt. Fr. Gabriel continued to serve the people of St. Helen parish, while also being responsible for communities from Cocoa
Named after the first American-born saint canonized by the Catholic Church, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton parish in western Port St. Lucie was founded September 1, 1993, under Bishop J. Keith Symons in conjunction with St. Lucie parish and Holy Redeemer parish in Palm City (among others). Fr.
On November 2, 1947, the first Mass was celebrated in Riviera Beach at the town community hall. Father A. McGowan, chaplain at St. Mary’s Hospital, was the celebrant. A year later, in 1948, the Mass celebrated in the community hall expanded into St. Francis of Assisi parish, which was
On April 21, 1960, Archbishop Coleman F. Carroll created the independent parish of St. Clare in North Palm Beach. Fr. Joseph M. McLaughlin became the parish’s first pastor and celebrated the first Mass in the basement in the home of Ed and Faye Lucas. The family ping pong table was used for an
St. Christopher Parish has its beginnings in the late 1940s, when winter residents Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Devine envisioned the growth to come and offered to build a church to serve the spiritual needs of the few Catholics in the area and those yet to move to Hobe Sound. The result was the
In the 1920s, Palm Beach was booming. Decades earlier, oil baron Henry Flagler’s railroad opened the balmy peninsula to travelers. The post-WWI economy brought them in droves to bask in the winter warmth or gamble away their new fortunes at the casino operated by Kentucky horse breeder E.R.
Located in downtown West Palm Beach, Saint Ann is the oldest parish in the Diocese of Palm Beach. Its history dates to 1889 when Bishop John Moore of the Diocese of Saint Augustine invited the Jesuits to assume pastoral care of the lower third of Florida, an area sparsely settled at the time. In