Director of Music - St Luke Church and School
St Luke Church and School located in Palm Springs, FL is searching for a Director of Music.
The Diocese is dedicated to providing excellent working conditions with competitive compensation in order to attract and retain an outstanding workforce. The Diocese of Palm Beach offers a competitive benefits package to employee’s working 30 or more hours per work week consisting of comprehensive medical, vision, dental, LTD, group life insurance, optional life insurance. The Diocese also provides a 403(b)-retirement plan to all employees. Information on our benefits and retirement programs can be found here.
Summary of Roles:
- As Director of Music to work closely with the Pastor in planning all liturgies and musical events and executing the same.
- As school music teacher, to work under the direction of the Principal as the part-time teacher of music in the school.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities for St. Luke Church:
- Play/cantor/direct choir at all English weekend Masses (currently Saturday 4:30pm, Sunday 7:30am, 9:00am and 11:00am).
- Supervisory role of Spanish music groups (currently 4 choirs).
- When the occasion demands it may also be necessary to be present/to play/to cantor for Masses in Spanish, currently Saturday 6:30pm and Sunday 1:00pm.
- Direct choir rehearsals
- Adult choir currently Thursday evenings 7-9pm, and to rehearse/prepare choirs before Masses.
- Large children’s choir (based on the school) at 9:00am Family Mass
- Adult choir, including paid singers, at the 11:00 Solemn Mass.
- Applicants are expected to have a familiarity and competency in all areas of sacred music. St Luke employs the full scale of traditional church music, which at the 11am Mass includes Gregorian settings and anthems. We also have a repertory of polyphony and classical Mass settings (Mozart, Lassus, Byrd etc.)
- Contacts have been developed with local high schools and colleges to augment the choirs and orchestras for the major festivals (especially Christmas and Easter). Applicants are expected to sustain and nurture these contacts.
- In consultation with the pastor, and where schedules permit, it is also anticipated that music (playing/cantoring) will be provided on the Solemnities and Feast Days of the Church.
- Playing/cantoring at funerals, weddings, quinceaneras and other liturgies are expected as required. This will involve music at liturgies in Spanish.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities for St. Luke School:
- Teach music 2 days a week in the school.
- Play for the weekly Friday school Mass.
- Plan and execute school concerts, recitals and other programs as required.
- Develop and teach a general music curriculum (with approval from the pastor and principal). The school has a band program (with a separate band director) and a strings program.
- Attend faculty meetings and school events as directed by the Principal.
- Must be an accomplished organists and pianists, able to cantor solo and direct choirs.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in music or music education is required.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and make responsible judgment calls.
- Ability to work effectively with Diocesan employees, departments heads, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
- Excellent written, verbal and public speaking skills.
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving capacity.
- Ability to stay focused and organized.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to respect confidentiality and consistently exercise discretion and good business judgment.
- Strong ethical values.
- Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 – 44 pounds
- Frequent use both hands and fingers (i.e. typing)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e. loud noises, sirens) and routine hearing (i.e. listening to others in conversation)
- Occasional time spent working closely with others
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
To apply, download and complete the Employment Application and submit along with your resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Rev. Andrew Brierley, Pastor
Via US Mail:
St. Luke Catholic Church
2892 S. Congress Ave.
Palm Springs, Fl. 33461
Via Email: email@example.com