Director of Communications - Diocese of Orlando
To discover “pathways to intensify communion and to render more penetrating the proclamation of His Word” (St. Pope John Paul II, The Rapid Development, 2005), and in a spirit of evangelization and collaboration, the Director of Communications is responsible for producing video and podcast segments for the Diocese of Orlando, Catholic Charities of Central Florida and various offices, ministries and entities. The Director of Communications is responsible for production of Florida Catholic Media, which includes overseeing budget and story development for the Florida Catholic. The Director of Communications oversees design of diocesan print materials and creates printed materials as appropriate.
The Diocese of Orlando four core values lay the foundation for the work performed by the Production Communications Director:
- Authenticity: Conviction that God has called us to reflect exteriorly our inner life of faith in our daily living.
- Respect: Affirming each person’s God-given dignity and uniqueness.
- Courage: Inspired by this gift of the Holy Spirit, we proclaim and live the Word of God fearlessly and devotedly.
- Commitment: Individually and collectively, we are steadfast to the team and its purpose.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Professionally and effectively produces, writes and clearly communicates the tenets of the Catholic faith and effectively shows how our ministries, liturgies and charities are the principal ways to which we are called to live our Catholic faith.
- Produces videos for the diocese, Catholic Charities, offices and ministries and collaborates with production related vendors.
- Creates budgets of stories, photos, and videos to be covered in Florida Catholic Media and assigns coverage as appropriate or writes the stories, etc.
- Creates budgets of articles to be submitted to E-Scroll each week and assigns as appropriate.
- Edits articles and captions submitted by writers for Florida Catholic Media.
- Oversees the design of worship aids, flyers, brochures, backgrounders and other printed materials for diocese, Catholic Charities, offices and ministries.
- Collaborates with Florida Catholic Media state office to maintain engagement, relevance and marketability of the Florida Catholic.
- Oversees staff/freelance/volunteer writers, photographers and ace reporters who contribute to diocesan communications.
- Oversees website and online content, images and design and monitors analytics, providing monthly reports and analysis.
- Seeks to work collaboratively with other offices, parishes, schools and entities to evangelize by communicating the Good News of Jesus Christ and keeping this mission at the heart of all communication efforts.
- Proofreads and edits articles for timeliness, clarity, grammar and punctuation and style elements in accordance with AP and CNS styles.
- Juggles multiple projects and works well under tight deadlines.
- Assists with audio production as needed.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Media Development Manager
- Digital Communications Manager
- Catholic Faith
- Practice of the Catholic faith is required. Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church. Their public behavior must not violate the faith, morals or laws of the Church or the policies of the diocese.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing or related area and five to eight years of experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with writing for various platforms, including digital, print, video, radio, and more.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite extremely helpful.
- Requires flexibility with work hours and project assignments.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English helpful, as is comprehensive knowledge of the Catholic Church and its teachings.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be an excellent communicator verbally, visually and digitally.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Shows superb analytical skills, and a resourceful approach to problem-solving.
- Sets an ethical and pastoral tone for diocesan conduct.
- Able to quickly earn the confidence of those with whom this individual collaborates and coordinates information, including other secretariat heads, directors, members of various diocesan and parish committees, and clergy.
- Reliable, insured vehicle and ability to travel within Diocese of Orlando is required.
- Ability to travel regionally and nationally and work evenings or weekends as needed for special events, meeting, etc.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common journals, Church documents, communication plans, articles, and periodicals.
- Ability to write well and condense large amount of information into smaller and more easily understood and interesting text.
- Must communicate accurate teachings of the Catholic faith and use appropriate resources such as catechism, Bible, USCCB and Vatican website.
- Superb organizational, planning, and time management skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
The working hours of this position is not limited to an 8-hour day and requires flexibility to work evenings or weekends. The individual must be willing to work in conditions of stress and function well under pressure.
The ability to sit and stand for long periods of time. Must be able to reach, grasp, feel, and see up close and from afar. Must be able to use basic office computer hardware and peripherals, with or without reasonable accommodation. Must be able to communicate verbally and in written form.
To apply please visit https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/647574