On April 21, 1960, Archbishop Coleman F. Carroll created the independent parish of St. Clare in North Palm Beach. Fr. Joseph M. McLaughlin became the parish’s first pastor and celebrated the first Mass in the basement in the home of Ed and Faye Lucas. The family ping pong table was used for an
St. Christopher Parish has its beginnings in the late 1940s, when winter residents Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Devine envisioned the growth to come and offered to build a church to serve the spiritual needs of the few Catholics in the area and those yet to move to Hobe Sound. The result was the
In the 1920s, Palm Beach was booming. Decades earlier, oil baron Henry Flagler’s railroad opened the balmy peninsula to travelers. The post-WWI economy brought them in droves to bask in the winter warmth or gamble away their new fortunes at the casino operated by Kentucky horse breeder E.R.
Located in downtown West Palm Beach, Saint Ann is the oldest parish in the Diocese of Palm Beach. Its history dates to 1889 when Bishop John Moore of the Diocese of Saint Augustine invited the Jesuits to assume pastoral care of the lower third of Florida, an area sparsely settled at the time. In
In 1939, the entire state of Florida was the Diocese of St. Augustine. What is now the Archdiocese of Miami was added in 1958, followed by the Dioceses of Orlando and St. Petersburg in 1968, Pensacola-Tallahassee in 1975, and Palm Beach and Venice in 1984. When established 35 years ago, the
A relatively new addition to the Diocese of Palm Beach, St. Andrew Catholic Church in south Stuart is located in a rapidly changing neighborhood. Built in what once was a humble and mostly rural area, church membership has become more and more diverse as population growth has marched westward.
Today’s Parish Profile is on St. Anastasia Catholic Parish in Fort Pierce. At 109 years old, St. Anastasia is the second oldest parish in the #DioceseofPalmBeach. This faith community continues to provide leadership in multiple areas of catechetical training, spiritual formation, nourishment
In 1912, Sacred Heart Parish was founded as a mission of West Palm Beach’s St. Ann’s Catholic Church, making it the second oldest parish in the area. Since that time, it has grown to serve a diverse community and also maintains a top-rated school offering VPK through eighth-grade education.
Since 1962, Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Mission has been serving the needs of, and offering a religious home to, migrant workers in Delray Beach. What started in a Quonset hut built in 1969 has gradually grown to become a source for a variety of services and support for its parishioners.
Although Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission was founded in 1992, its humble beginnings started more than a decade earlier. Initially it was part of St. William’s Mission and St. Helen Parish in Vero Beach. However, the Mission of St. William’s became St. Sebastian Parish and Fellsmere, home to Our